28. August 2019The Ombudsman has called for a formal mechanism to be put in place to compel the public administration to act upon his recommendations. This comes as a number of public service providers failed to act upon the recommendations made in respect of five complaints lodged with the Ombudsman’s office. These involve the Gibraltar Electricity Authority, the Gibraltar Health Authority, the Housing Authority and the Driver and Licensing department.
28. August 2019On the occasion of its 20th anniversary, the Office of Federal Ombudsman of Belgium hosted the quadrennial conference of the IOI’s European Region in Brussels in October 2018. The event invited Ombudsman colleagues to discuss “The Ombudsman in an open and participatory society”. Conference presentations and papers are now available online in the “Member Area” of the IOI website.
27. August 2019La Oficina en México del Alto Comisionado de Naciones Unidas para los Derechos Humanos (OACNUDH) presentó en la sede de la Comisión de Derechos Humanos de la Ciudad de México (CDHCM) el Diagnóstico sobre el Funcionamiento del Mecanismo para la Protección de Personas Defensoras de Derechos Humanos y Periodistas (MPPDDHyP).
27. August 2019The Ombudsman of the Republic of Sierra Leone, Leon Jenkins-Johnston esq. and team from the Office of the Ombudsman has engaged Senior Police officers at various divisions in the western Area. The engagement is part of the ongoing sensitization drive that the ombudsman started few months ago to meet with MDA’s.
27. August 2019For the first-time ever, the International Ombud Expo 2019 scheduled to hold in Sheraton Abuja, Nigeria from 28 – 31 October, 2019 will include a special event dedicated to showcase through pictures, sharing of experiences, and expert discussions the contributions of women leaders in these institutions. Women have contributed immensely towards the development and impact of ombudsman and related oversight institutions across the globe. But this influence has remained largely unnoticed. More so, there is no systematic data available anywhere on this. The special event is aimed at closing this gap
27. August 2019The Queensland Ombudsman’s report, The Forensic Disability Service report: An investigation into the detention of people at the Forensic Disability Service, was tabled by the Honourable Curtis Pitt MP, Speaker of the Queensland Parliament on Thursday 22 August 2019.
27. August 2019Since there has been no reaction so far to the Croatian Ombudswoman’s letter to the competent institutions (to State’s Attorney Office, Speaker of the Croatian Parliament, Chairpersons of the Committee on the Constitution, Standing Orders and Political System, the Committee on Human and National Minority Rights and the Domestic Policy and National Security Committee) regarding her request to conduct appropriate, efficient and independent investigation of the alleged illegal police treatment of migrants, which was received in a complaint by an anonymous policeman, in order to establish whether it was grounded, Croatian Ombudswoman Lora Vidović has now informed the public as the last resort stipulated by the Art 19 of the Ombudsman Law.
27. August 2019The European Forum Alpbach 2019 hosted a breakout session by the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) and the IOI on “Human Rights Under Pressure: The Role of Ombudspersons and National Human Rights Institutions”. The IOI was represented by its President and Irish Ombudsman Peter Tyndall.