12. September 2019The flawed practice of Kaunas Remand Prison officers, following which convicted persons are not allowed to use washing machine free of charge if they are visited by relatives, drew the attention of the Seimas Ombudsman of Lithuania, Augustinas Normantas. It turned out that officials did not provide the convict with the necessary articles for personal hygiene even after the convict was declared insolvent.
12. September 2019Elderly who live on or below the poverty threshold in the Caribbean Netherlands face several problems. They hardly have money to cover their basic needs, there are too few (care) facilities and they don’t know which benefits they might be entitled to.
10. September 2019The European Commission for Democracy through Law, better known as the Venice Commission, recently adopted a new set of 25 key principles to help protect and promote ombudsmen. The “Venice Principles” have been presented at the Council of Europe office in Brussels on 10 September 2019.
9. September 2019Under the new Constitution of 2015 the mandate of the Human Rights Defender (HRD) has been expanded by including the power to facilitate the improvement of the regulatory legal acts related to human rights and freedoms. Following the Constitutional Amendments, a new Constitutional Law on Human Rights Defender of the Republic of Armenia was adopted in December 2016. Within this constitutional function, a new practice of reflecting monitoring results in draft laws by the HRD Office is being exercised.
9. September 2019The Ombudsman of Azerbaijan received the Chief of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Mission to Azerbaijan Mr. Vladimir Giorgiyev.
9. September 2019Today’s most pressing undemocratic trends resurfacing in many parts of Europe concern freedom of expression, the independence of the judiciary, the impact of artificial intelligence on human rights and discrimination against vulnerable people. The “Council of Europe Highlights 2018” show how diverse bodies of the Council of Europe, in cooperation with its member states, worked throughout the past year to tackle them, with the aim of making Europe a safer and more democratic place for everybody.
9. September 2019The Commission on Monday, September 2, 2019, hosted a delegation from the Office of the Ombudsman, Burundi. The delegation which was led by the Chief Ombudsman, Hon. Edouard Nduwimana, visited the Commission to learn its operations and share experience and lessons in the implementation of the Ombudsman’s mandate.
9. September 2019The Office of the Ombudsman has released a report on an investigation of alleged malpractices resulting in removal of uteruses from expectant women in public health facilities titled “Woes of the Womb”.