14. November 2018The Ombudsman, Ms Connie Lau, announced last Wednesday, 14th of November, the completion of a direct investigation into the regulation of illegal burials outside permitted burial grounds (burials outside PBGs) by the Home Affairs Department and the Lands Department.
14. November 2018The Office of the Ombudsman, in line with its mandate to receive complaints from prisoners and detainees, started visiting prisons, police cells and other places of detention.
13. November 2018Earlier this year the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) commissioned an independent panel to carry out a peer review assessment of its value for money, led by Peter Tyndall, Ombudsman for the Republic of Ireland and President of the International Ombudsman Institute. The panel has now published their report, which concluded that following the PHSO’s organisational reforms and the service it offers beyond investigating complaints, the Office offers good value for money for taxpayers.
13. November 2018El Procurador Penitenciario, Francisco Mugnolo, participó junto a directivos de nuestra institución de la Audiencia Pública para la elaboración del Informe Anual de Derechos Humanos de la Comisión de Ciudadanía y DDHH del Parlamento del Mercosur.
13. November 2018Rafael Ribó, síndic de greuges de Cataluña y presidente europeo del Instituto International del Ombudsman, se reunió el pasado 30 y 31 de octubre con las autoridades del Consejo de Europa para abordar criterios de protección de los derechos humanos, el papel de los ombudsmans europeos, así como para informar de la situación en Cataluña.
13. November 2018The Waka Tangata E-News includes news and views from integrity organisations in the Pacific and Australasian Region. Outreach, training, and the treatment of vulnerable people are clear themes in Issue 2 of Waka Tangata, which is now available online.
12. November 2018The National Human Rights Institution (NHRI), part of the Office of the Ombudsman of Samoa, has completed its public inquiry into family violence, its first national inquiry. Headed by Samoan Ombudsman Maiava Iulai Toma, the inquiry commissioners began work on the report in late 2016, and it was publicly released in September 2018.
12. November 2018The 4th IOI Workshop for NPMs took place in Copenhagen from 7 – 9 November 2018. The training event was generously hosted by the Office of the Danish Parliamentary Ombudsman and facilitated by the Association for the Prevention of Torture (APT). It brought 35 participants from 23 different countries together to discuss the topic of an effective follow-up process to NPM recommendations.