During COVID-19, NHRIs have played a vital role to support national health responses, as well as defend those most at risk of human rights violations. In the face of hard lockdowns and other restrictions, they have been strong advocates for the rule of law.
The GANRHI 2020 Annual Report shares the steps it took to provide practical support to NHRIs during these unprecedented times. GANHRI reset their priorities, and how they work, to respond to the needs of our members.
- Supporting NHRIs during COVID-19, with webinars, an online community of practice and a global study of NHRI responses to the pandemic
- Strengthening the membership, by using the first-ever online annual meeting to drive collaboration among NHRIs for human rights defenders and climate justice
- Promoting NHRI contributions to the UN, through regular GANHRI statements to the Human Rights Council and assisting 40 NHRIs to make individual statements
- Sharing NHRI expertise, by supporting the four thematic working groups and linking the members to key UN agencies and mechanisms
- Protecting NHRIs under threat, by working in partnership with others to uphold their independence and prevent further attacks.
All NHRIs should be acknowledged for their courageous and unstinting work across the globe to promote and protect human rights during these challenging times.
Source: Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI)